Presentation (slideshow) is the easiest way to begin to learn Cinelerra. Let’s see.
Some photos of my country from Arnaud Bertrande’s point of view.
First let’s prepare our project. Launch Cinelerra. Then Settings -> Preferences -> Recording tab. In “Video in” set the import images duration to 2 seconds for example. This means that the images are imported with a duration of 2 seconds. You will be able to give them the duration you wish after. Now let’s define the format of our project. Settings -> Format. This part is up to you. It depends on what you want to do with your final video (internet video, dvd, archiving, hd video etc).
Load the images. Files -> Load files… Browse the directories and select the images you want to load. Cinelerra can use media directly from a dvd-driver, an external hard disk, an usb-drive … You can either load a single image (with a duration of 2 seconds) or several. Choose the Insertion strategy and apply.
Notes on Insertion strategy:
- Replace current project delete all you have on the timeline and load the pictures in different tracks. One picture per track.
- Replace current project and concatenate tracks delete what you have on the timeline and load the pictures in one single track.
- Append in new tracks keep what you have on the timeline and load the pictures in new tracks.
- Concatenate to existing tracks paste the pictures in existing tracks
- Paste at insertion point load the files where the insertion point (ie the vertical line that move on teh timeline) is.
- With Create new resources only the pictures don’t appear on the timeline. They are in the media folder in the Resources window.
We will use the second option for this project: Replace current project and concatenate tracks. We could equally choose Concatenate to existing tracks since we have nothing loaded yet.
OK. Our images are now lying on the timeline. Let’s give them the duration we want. Some pictures can last 3 seconds, others just a fraction. For that we go on the edge of each image in the timeline window (a little horizontal arrow appear), left click, drag to the right or to the left. You’re done.
Images are loaded. Durations are set. Let’s add some transitions between each pictures. Dissolve transition (Resources window -> Video transition) is the most common transition but Cinelerra give the ability to create your own transition. (see ==> http://www.assistcg.com/index.php/component/content/article/63.html). So just drag a transition and drop it at each junction. Right click on the transition icon to adjust the length and… Voila!